Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors, down the tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors, down the tower
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 13:38:49 -0800
On 12/29/2019 10:56 AM, Charles Gallo wrote:
Again, thoughts?

My control cables terminate on old-fashioned barrier strips in a weatherproof box mounted to the wall outside the shack, and to barrier strips at the base of the tower 250 ft away. My coax runs originally terminated on a big copper plate with thru-mounted Polyphasers; over the years, they would occasionally fry as they either took a lightning hit or I did something stupid inside the shack (wrong antenna, etc.). They are expensive, and a PITA to change (two people, one on each side of the wall), so put together a large weatherproof enclosure with eight arrestors that WX0B sells -- it's a circuit I like better, and the GDTs are field replaceable. I've gradually been moving antennas to those arrestors.

For both enclosures, short stubs of PVC conduit go through the wall. All three boxes have a ground bus that goes to a half dozen driven rods, to the power ground, and to the operating desk ground.

73, Jim K9YC