Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:44:14 -0700

Here's another approach.  I put up an Inverted-L for 160m and measured the complex impedance at the feedpoint.  I loaded those values into TLW, the free transmission line program that comes with the ARRL Antenna Book and looked for the position on the coax feedline where the real part of the transformed impedance was 50 ohms and the reactive part was negative.  I then wound a coil of the appropriate dimensions, mounted it in a new 1 gallon paint can with SO-239 barrels on each end, and inserted it into the feedline at that point.

The additional loss due to the SWR for what turned out for me to be a relatively short length of coax between the antenna and the coil was negligible (according to TLW), and a coil is a lot cheaper than a capacitor.  And in my case at least, breaking the feedline at the proper point to put the coil was a lot easier than raising and lowering the antenna to tweak the length since the horizontal top portion of my Inverted-L is strung across a large ravine.

73,
Dave   AB7E