Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 05:47:49 -0800
On 1/5/20 7:11 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

What I HAVE done (about ten years ago) was to add a second #10 THHN to my Tee vertical for 160M, spaced roughly 8-10 inches from the first, wired in parallel top and bottom. The vertical section is 100 ft. The measured result was to approximately double the SWR bandwidth.

So, going from l/d of 12000 to 120 -> that's a big, big difference, and the change in SWR bandwidth would be expected.

My experience has been that when I correctly define the model (wire, insulation, height, soil parameters) NEC gives me pretty good correlation with what I measure when the antenna is built and installed. An example: for a CQP site we used for several years, I modeled a 40M dipole at the height we were able to rig it in the scrub trees at the site, and over poor soil, which is what is there. The model predicted 75 ohms, so we brought RG11 for it. Our SWR bridge that was referenced to 75 ohms read close to 1:1 at resonance.

73, Jim K9YC