Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Tool

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp Connector Tool
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 19:53:29 -0500
On 2020-01-08 4:09 PM, Gedas wrote:

It then goes down the line for heat shrinking and labeling etc.
Anyway, no way you or I can do things like that at home but for a
company that can invest $1000 in the dies and jigs etc for a
dedicated station they can make a huge profit.

Yes, there is some benefit to volume.  However, the cost for custom
tooling (dies, etc.), pneumatic presses, automatic cutters/strippers,
etc. still needs to be amortized (depreciated to the accountants)
and still impacts overall cost/profit.

There is still a limit to the number of cables that can be built
by a given number of production workers with a given set of tools
and *sold or used internally* in a given time period.  That balancing
act along with the overhead and minimum acceptable profit sets a
(hopefully reasonable) market price.

For the amateur who might need a couple dozen cables of various types
a year over 5 or 10 years, a one time expenditure of a couple hundred
dollars of hand tools (hand crimpers, dies, prep tools) probably
makes the most sense.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV