Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 23:18:17 -0700
On 4/8/2020 9:50 PM, K6XT via TowerTalk wrote:
Some years ago for a time I had a GAP Titan half wave vertical as my Get On The
Air Now antenna. I tried ground mount, elevated 5 feet, 10 feet, 20 feet. Ten
feet was the magic performance number. I did not see any advantage by raising
the GAP base to 20 feet.

Was it mounted on a conductive tower or mast? Antennas of this generic type (loaded center-fed dipole) do NOT work well on a conductive mount, because it detunes the antenna, changing the current distribution and the match.

Your observations re: poor performance on 80M is consistent with that report's observation that if we want good performance on the lowest band where you want to use it, we should choose a model designed to work on the next band down in frequency.

73, Jim K9YC