Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 06:23:10 -0500
>Lots of big towers and telephone poles are safely anchored by screwing
>something into the ground. I'd venture that very, very few wooden poles, even
>those giant ones, have any concrete involved at >all, and they have fairly
>large side loads, both static, and wind driven, from the wires and line
>equipment.

It's ridiculous to draw an equivalence between a lattice tower
properly resting on a pier and pin with a telephone pole, that is
solid wood, and in the ground 10 feet in a tight hole made with an
auger.   Wood as a material behaves in a completely different manner
under stress.    Phone pole guying is usually done to counter the pull
of power cables at the end of a line or when there's a change in
direction.  Otherwise wood poles are usually unguyed.  A tower on a
pin has to be guyed just to remain vertical.   A wood pole won't
collapse from being sunk into the ground.  A tower will unless it is a
short stub

73

Rob
K5UJ