Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Anchors
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 09:55:39 -0700
On 4/14/20 9:12 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
I have to wonder if a permitting authority would allow these for permanent structures without a soils test and engineering, and costs. (Utilities run on different rules).  Then a truck and hydraulic system is needed to install them, more $$.  All of this beyond even advanced ham skills and technology.

Permitting authorities would allow them to the same extent they allow other designs. The Rohn drawings make assumptions about soils, for instance. That's part of what the engineer at the plan check does - they know the soils in different parts of the municipality so they go "oh, 1234 Crescent Lane, that's old river bottom and mostly sand - your design assumes clay, so that's not going to fly"

Yes, the difficulty of putting them in is the usual barrier for hams - digging a big hole and filling it with concrete (or, for that matter, forming up a big concrete block, above ground) is pretty easy and is a "cheap in materials and tools, expensive in labor" approach that's attractive if labor hours are free.

Once you're going to "power tools", though, it's worth considering - they're an off the shelf item, there's lots of companies that plant them for you. I don't know if it's cheaper to hire the auger guy than to buy a few yards of concrete and an hour of backhoe time. It's probably very situationally dependent.

We loved them because you could plant them into an asphalt parking lot, then, when you were done, you could cut them off slightly below grade, and pave over the relatively small hole. Or, you could unauger them, if needed.

At JPL, we use 5000 pound cubes of concrete for guy anchors on temporary structures or in places where "digging" isn't allowed.

A rental mini-excavator, some rebar ordered bent to spec, and a few yards of concrete can be DIY.  My (Rohn65) anchors are 2x4x6', full rebar cages, buried 4' all DIY with some laborer help.  One advantage is the shank before backfull is available to be tar coated and 0.020" gas pipe tape wrapped so there is no chance of corrosion failures.  (see TT posts of anchor shank failures).

My smaller prior R25 built to Rohn spec tower anchors and base were all hand dug, rebar bent on site and Sakrete mixed in wheelbarrows with friends and 807's..

Grant KZ1W