Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 18:52:23 -0700
On 4/21/20 6:02 PM, Tom Hellem wrote:
I would like to measure the self-resonant frequency of the reflector on a
home made 20 meter yagi. It seems obvious the best way would probably be to
open it up at the center and make it into a split dipole element and hook
up my analyzer. However I would like to avoid cutting it and dealing with
splicing it back together again. Can anyone suggest another way to
accomplish my objective? The reason for doing this is because it is
apparent from modeling in EZNEC that the
length of the reflector is critical to the performance parameters of the
antenna, e.g. gain, F/B, bandwith, etc., and it looks to me like it doesn't
take much of a change in the length of the element

Take your test meter and hook a 1 (or more) turn coil about 1" in diameter on it, and then couple the coil to the element in question. (i.e. have the coil's axis of symmetry in the same direction as the Yagi boom and put it next to it).

You should see the resonance, when the element "sucks out" the power from the coil.

You could probably also do some sort of simple "spread the wires and attach on either side" sort of a delta match? - you're looking for a resonance peak or dip, not a match to 50 ohms. The trick is that you don't want the measurement system to perturb the thing you are measuring.

This is how folks did it with a Grid Dip Meter back in the day.

A fancier technique would be to use a low loss ferrite core and make a transformer to couple your instrument to the element. It could be 1:1 or 10:1 or whatever is convenient. And you don't even have to be in the precise middle. An off center fed dipole resonates at the same frequency as a center fed dipole, just with a different impedance at resonance. Of course, if you're measuring off center, you have more possibility that your measurement system (or you) will couple to the antenna.