Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 09:28:17 -0500
Actually checking the single element resonance is a good way to check it against a model, especially if it has non-insulated boom clamps that are difficult to model. If the element has linear loading this would be a good way to adjust it to ensure that the Yagi will match the design. Of course the element has to be measured in close "free space" conditions for the data to be useful.

John KK9A

Chuck Dietz W5PR wrote:

Hi Tom,

I don't think you are taking the right approach. I don't think you can just
"tune" one element of a Yagi antenna. You need to measure all the element
sections and placements including the element mounts and run them through a
computer design program. Changing any dimension will affect the other
dimensions to some degree. If it is a commercially sold Yagi, the file will
already be available and can be used to optimize the antenna.

Chuck W5PR