Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Measuring resonance of a yagi element
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 11:10:55 -0700
On 4/23/2020 7:08 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
  When I was the Natl Sales Manager for Hy-Gain/Telex in the 90's, I met the
guy that designed the TH-6. Hy-Gain had a nice antenna range and he said it
took them 4 hours per iteration so I guess we'd say it was by educated
trial-and-error.

That's not surprising. When you're engineering a product that must be put into production and will be widely sold for use in a wide variety of installations, you're wise to consider as many as possible of the variables that affect performance. At least two very good designers of ham antennas have noted this in published materials -- N6BT and G0KSC. Some of those variables are manufacturing tolerances, properties of the materials used, sensitivity of the design to mounting height, consistency of gain, pattern and impedance match over the desired frequency range, and how easy it is for customers to assemble without compromising the design. And, of course, available computing power for designers to model their designs is vastly greater (and far less costly) that it was in the '90s.

73, Jim K9YC