Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?

To: n6sj@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1dB more RF Power?
From: Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:46:54 -0400
There is no question that a well matched, efficient antenna, mounted in the
clear is the best.  But my "pile-up anxiety" is practically non-existent.
I know what a pile-up sounds like from a DX station's point of reception.
For five and a half years I sat in front of a radio for 20 hours a week,
running the pileups from Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands.  From
December,1983 until April,1989, I was KX6DS.  I also operated as KC6TO from
Ponape (Pohnpei) in what was then the Eastern Caroline Islands, now
Federated States Of Micronesia. I made 83,000 QSOs and have more than
40,000 QSLs on the shelf in one of my closets to show for it.

One night on 20 meters there was propagation only between me and San Diego,
California. I had no pileups and a nice ragchew developed with me and three
San Diego stations.  they were all running 1500 watts with tribanders at 70
feet and lived within two or three miles of each other.  So I asked them to
start talking in turn, one after another, and to keep it up for several
minutes.  While they were talking I watched the signal strength of each.
One of them would be 20 dB stronger on any given round. The next sentence,
another of them would be 20 dB stronger.  It was if a
propagation "spotlight" was moving around the sky, just like the ones we
used to see from the county fair. And when the spotlight shined on one of
the stations, it was his turn to work me.
My conclusion is that if you have a decent setup and use reasonable
operating technique, you are pretty much assured of a QSO.  Keep in mind
that the DX station probably does not hear many of the callers you do. I
could put stations in the log at a rate of three or four a minute as long
as good operating technique was maintained. I also found that if I remained
calm and seemed to be reasonably efficient, the pileup behaved very
reasonably.  I never criticized anyone on the air, even if I thought they
needed a  refresher in technique or simple manners.  I did lose it one
time.  There was one fellow, whose call mercifully escapes me, who
persisted in sending his call right on top of every station I was trying to
work for several minutes.  I tried to ignore him, but he was not having
it.  I finally paused and called his callsign and asked, Are you a natural
born lid or did you take lessons?"     He never called again and his call
didn't appear in my log. (All in CW)

So that's why I don't worry about a dB.

73,

Dave, K4TO
ps -- Yes I still have the logs -- all 18 of them, spiral bound.  And I
still get requests for QSLs.  If you are in the log, you can get a card.