Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and asphalt shingle roofs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and asphalt shingle roofs
From: "Bill Ogden" <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 12:46:57 -0400
>There is a lot more important question on the table here than coax on an
>asphalt shingle roof (which in my opinion is a non-issue).  If you can't
>access the space underneath the roof, how are you planning to mount a
>receiving loop with a rotor???

Perhaps I was not clear: I cannot access the roof from the attic. I have
no problem
installing a small tripod or something like that and screwing it into the
roof (with roofing tar added). For the loop, I will probably build
a small shelf to hold the rotator (it has a shelf mount), set up on legs
that
match the roof slope, and tie the legs to the roof with straps screwed
into
the roof. The rotator (Yaesu G450A) should be able to hold a short mast
(maybe 4 feet)
and loop without a tower sleeve above it.

>From all the comments, I gather that running coax and a rotator control
cable
over the asphalt roof shingles is not a problem.

Bill
W2WO