Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?

To: Randy Farmer <w8fn@windstream.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in the woods?
From: dt <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 21:07:58 -0500
My world is not deep woods, but lots of big trees on country property, and every few years the 80' trees (elm, maple, cottonwood, sycamore), encroach on the tower & antennas and need to be radically cut back (tree service $$$). Suggest you add this to the on-going cost of operation!

73

dan
k0dan

Now that I've relocated to semi-rural western North Carolina, I'm doing some planning for the new antenna system. I already have a US Towers TX-455 that will be going up soon, but I'd really like to put up another crankup / tilt-over tower with a somewhat bigger antenna. The good news is that we have a fair amount of land to work with. The bad news is that the available land for a second tower installation is almost completely heavily wooded. The XYL is willing to tolerate the TX-455 behind the detached garage, but not at all receptive to a tower in the cleared yard area.

Even though I would really like to have the second tower I'm apprehensive about how big a project it would be to put up a serious tower in the woods. I'm especially worried about getting a proper base in, both because of remaining stumps and tree roots after land clearing and because of the logistical difficulty of hauling 10+ yards of concrete out into the woods. Trenching to install a proper ground system and to run feedlines and control lines would also seem to be another possible problem. Has anyone undertaken such a project? If so, would you be willing to share your experiences and advice? Off list would be fine.

Thanks & 73...
Randy, W8FN