Re: [TowerTalk] Shortened Elevated Radials_Choke Balun Needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shortened Elevated Radials_Choke Balun Needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 10:43:09 -0700
On 8/30/2020 9:55 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
You can also make the vert longer than 1/4 WL and that will raise the R but introduce Xl.  Fortunately a series cap fixes the Xl.  I believe that higher natural R **may** offset a bit the effect of the ground loss as the ground loss is a smaller % of the vertical element's R.  Doubt I worded that right - should not have attempted it on so little coffee this early in the AM.

From the beginning, I've done exactly that with my Tee vertical that has on-ground radials of random length. I tuned it to 50 + jX, then added C to tune out jX. N6BV modeled the vertical (but not the radials) in the licensed version of NEC and found no significant difference in radiation efficiency, but the matching method works very well with low ESR caps I was able to buy surplus in Si Valley. You know whether they are low ESR by transmitting a while and noting whether smoke emerges or they are hot to the touch. Virtually all of the HV caps I bought new from Newark or Allied emitted smoke.

I also added a second vertical wire in parallel with spacers to increase SWR bandwidth, which changed the tuning slightly. That antenna started out with about 85 ft vertical; about five years ago, I had climbers raise the rigging points to make it 100 ft vertical and tweaked both the horizontal portion and the matching C.

73, Jim K9YC