Re: [TowerTalk] Drones

To: "'Fernando Gonzalez, EC1CT'" <ec1ct@esbesaya.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Drones
From: "Wes Attaway" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 22:01:01 -0500
Drones should work real good for deploying a line over the top of a tree.

However, in many yards (mine included) there can be serious issues with
going over the tops of trees as opposed to simply going over a high limb.

In my case, I have three dipole-type antennas deployed in a grove of tall
Pine trees.  An 80M OCF is at 81' feed point and about 70' at the ends.  Two
40/20 fan dipoles are at about 78' and 71' and the ends are at about 65'-70'
in other Pine trees.  My dipoles are supported in the center and at the
ends.  No hurricane has ever taken them down.  There is a lot of resilience
with three supports and not being in the tops of the trees.

I used a tennis ball launcher to get the lines into the proper positions.
Today I went out and looked at the situation and imagined a drone putting
the lines into the proper positions.  I don't think a drone could do it
except maybe for two of the ropes.  The end ropes, in particular, are pretty
well buried up in a lot of limbs.

Pine trees, in particular, swing a lot up at the tops but they swing a whole
lot less down 20' or 30' below the tops.  Going over the top of a Pine tree
seems like asking for a whole lot of trouble down the line.

      Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics
      AttawayForensics.com