Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance Ant's, de Steve, DAVIS RF

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Greyline Performance Ant's, de Steve, DAVIS RF
From: Steve Davis | Davis RF <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 01:19:12 +0000
Hi Folks,

After reading all the comments I felt a need to comment.

The following comments are made based only on what I read in the latest
posting.  If any of those aspects are incorrect, I would gladly apologize to
Greyline Ant's:

I checked out their website, very well done, but it states that most orders are
up to date and can ship within days, so perhaps the comment about months out
shipping is an old situation:

First, any company that charges your card, ships X months later, and not all at
once, is a rip-off.  They are using YOUR $$ to finance THEIR co.  I know all
the excuses for doing so, but these co's are not dealing on the up and up, thus
I wouldn't even trust their specs. And I'd be glad to go head to head with them
on their customer "methods".

DAVIS RF, like many reliable firms, ONLY charges once the item ships. Sometimes
on special orders that we would have no ready market should the sale be
cancelled, yes we charge up front , but we know that the item is in stock and
will ship within 5 days, or we tell the customer otherwise up front.

   I can't , and won't , comment on specs of such a company.    This co. smells
of the "PU " principles of  business demise":  Poor management &
undercapitalization

Verticals in general:  I was part of Colatchco, Inc. , vertical phased array
systems and verticals and cables for feeding, phasing and controlling 4 el.
vertical phased arrays. Subsequently sold to COMTEK, who sold to Jim Miller (a
great guy), Jim sold to
DX Eng'g.
  It was clear to me that our verticals, single or in phase, with up to a max.
of 120 radials on the ground, provide very low angle take off.  And this was
critical to working week signal gray line.  I operated from near Boston,  75 m,
DX window and had great success working VK, ZL, China (once) , etc.  Grant it ,
this was a 4 el vert. phased array of the W1CF and W1FC  design.

By the way , I still have one of the switch boxes, never used, with the 180
deg. phasing line.  Maybe resurrect my 4 Sq.

   At any rate, these are my thoughts on verticals for 80, 40, 160 long haul
DX.   I ran a single vertical on 80 as an experiment,  120 /  .25 wave radials,
exc. results, in my moderately dense woods (pines, oak, maple) surrounding the
vertical for about 50 yards in all directions.  You don't worry much about
trees with verticals on low bands.

Cheers, Steve,  K1PEK     DAVIS  RF, Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Colatchco, Inc, a tough name for a co., HI,  derived from Collins (W1FC),
Atchley (W1CF)

   1. Greyline Performance antennas (k7lxc@aol.com)

Message: 1