Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:50:49 -0800
"I've dug connectors out of the mud, pulled them out of puddles, and found them in musty basements...Now the punchline: I have never had a connector failure!"

This brings back memories of older connectors, source unknown, but I'm thinking military, 1940's-50's, with what appears to be brown bakelite dielectric. I've had every singe one of these fail, from getting hot, tracking, cracking, and crumbling. When looked at, they have have a glittery appearance, even the new ones. It looks like mica in the mix, I assumed, due to heat even at 100W max, there was ground up metal in the dielectric. I never checked into the issue further.

Kurt