Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259
From: Paul Beckmann <wa0rse@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 10:29:38 -0600
Fellow hams,

This thread has really highlighted the divergence "make due with what you
have" vs. "spend what you can to get the best" mindset. Many, like me,
started in amateur radio by building what we could out of the parts we
scavenged out of old TV receivers donated by friends and family. Given that
early experience, there is a strong emotional satisfaction to seeing what
can be made MacGyver-style out of what we can put our hands on. Some have
dubbed this a "Depression-era mentality". The other approach is to put
together the most robust system with the most economical use of time making
the best use of the state of the art.

These are not mutually exclusive and can exist in different proportions in
each ham.

Contesting leans toward the latter approach, emphasizing reliability for
obvious reasons.

Using recycled connectors high up on a tower is likely not a great idea
under any circumstances, unless you like to climb.

I enjoy both aspects of our mutual endeavor.

73
--Paul, wa0rse

*Please make note of updated address:Paul Beckmann*
*Vista Meadows Homestead*
*30125 719th Street*
*Lake City, MN 55041*
*wa0rse@gmail.com <wa0rse@gmail.com>*