Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:44:12 -0800
It's not possible to re-use a properly soldered UHF male connector!

20+ years ago, I used a selection of tools to refurbish connectors. A special holder, soldering irons with custom made tips that matched the radius and holes, desoldering braid, a bottle of liquid rosin, needle-nose pliers, tweezers, solvents, stainless brushes, and a selection of bore brushes. I could get very, very close to new, but, honestly, having refurbished dozens of connectors, it's better (and MUCH faster) to chuck them unless refurbishing something unique, something other than a UHF connector, or one that was custom designed/built, like some military, and aerospace versions integrated into a piece of equipment.

In the trenches is one thing, but, at the cost of a can of soda for a very good connector, or a couple fancy coffees for top of the line, delivered, it's not worth the effort, or risk of some metallic scum/vapor deposition, or a single strand of braiding left behind, to re-use.

On a side-note, I once lost an amp due to a few strands of braid caught up in a connector. This was factory made, new in the package, assumed good. BANG! That was the end of that. Ringing out the cable indicated a short, cutting open the connectors revealed part of the outer braid connected to the center pin on one end. The manufacturer bought me a new amp in the end.

Kurt