Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Reuse PL-259
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:51:12 -0800
On 2/16/2021 8:29 AM, Paul Beckmann wrote:
This thread has really highlighted the divergence "make due with what you
have" vs. "spend what you can to get the best" mindset.

It's a bit more than that. Poor quality connectors can fall apart, go intermittent, arc at high power. I've owned a lot of used rigs over the years, all good quality, vintage rigs bought for a fraction of their new price. Junk connectors are a terrible way to pinch pennies, or to "make do." They can easily cause antennas to appear to be broken, causing us to chase our tails troubleshooting. They can cause power amps to fault, and in some cases, result in destructive failure. I don't want to lose a $5K power amp because I played cheap on a $4 connector.

73, Jim K9YC