[TowerTalk] Cable Work

To: "kj6y--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable Work
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 10:44:17 -0800
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:27:00 -0500 (EST)
From: Wilson  Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>

<No real qualifications here, but when did that keep me from offering advice!
<In prep for some tower work which didn't happen, I bought some 3/16 aircraft
cable and sleeves online.
<Not wanting to pay for the real deal tools, I bought a fence wire swaging tool
at Tractor Supply.  I expect all the places, like Agri Supply have them.
<I'm not sure if I actually verified the die diameter or not, but must have
thought it was OK.
<I have since done a dozen or so swages, to make slings for logging and general
lifting with my tractor boom.
<Since they are just a few feet long, I consider the slings expendable and
abuse them accordingly.
<I have no idea what loads I've put them to, but I have lifted/pulled some BIG
logs.
<None of the swages has slipped at all.
<I probably wouldn't put up an expensive tower/beam with this stuff, but I sure
would put up a cheap one.
<As usual, YMMV and I'm not making any promises, but I've been amazed what the
stuff can do.
<AND these are single sleeves, not the doubles I'd use on a tower.
<WL

##  say what ?   I guyed a 82 foot  tower  with 3 yagis on top, back in the
70s,  using  winch cable, insulators and nicropress crimps, zero issues.
US  Tower corp uses  nicropress crimps on all their cable assys.   My  Hdx-689,
weighs 5600 lbs, loaded.
Nicropress crimps also used on both my  cum-alongs, zero issues.
40 ton cranes also use  crimps, zero issues.
75  ton  HD  rotators, like the real big tow truck rigs, used to haul a semi
out of the  ditch, will also use  crimps,  typ with  .75 inch
and also  1 inch cable.

##  as long as they are properly installed, they are not an issue.  The cable
will always break  1st.

##  Never had a problem with subsequent towers,  where  7 strand   EHS and
pre-form grips  used.   Again, they have to be installed correctly,
again the  cable will break 1st, never the  pre-forms.

Jim   VE7RF