[TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OptiBeam OB2-40M
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 16:34:34 -0700
One of the radio clubs I belong to is interested in buying an OptiBeam OB2-40M two-element 40 meter Moxon Yagi. Optibeam is kind of vague on wind survival specifications. Their website indicates "Windload at 130 km/h           430 N / 0,54 m² / 5,9 feet²". To me that implies the antenna is designed to survive 130 km/h winds (80.7 MPH), but it doesn't actually say that. The antenna is going to be installed at a Southern California QTH at a fairly low elevation, so icing is extremely unlikely. However, the antenna will be installed on a high narrow ridge that lend itself to very high uneven (shearing) winds when we get the occasional winter storm or Santa Ana wind condition.

Anyone out there using one of these antennas? I am curious what you think of it in terms of performance and reliability?

Thanks and 73,