Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with Sacrificial Zinc?

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with Sacrificial Zinc?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 17:51:40 -0700
Rich,

Galvanizing is so local (~1/4") for protecting bare/rusting steel that I don't think a zinc will help. Since the PJ4 rust is apparently well developed there are some conversion + paint coatings which might be helpful, especially it the loose stuff can be brushed off before treatment.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/rust-reformer
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/accessories/best-rust-converters-and-inhibitors/#por-15-45404-rust-preventive-coating

I've been applying the rustoleum reformer to some wire brushed rusty parts but no long term experience. Generally, I've had excellent results with Rustoleum paint. My process is two coats of primer, red on bare/clean steel, then grey to show complete coverage and then 2 or three coats of color. From the can or a spray gun. I've had tractor & forklift equipment stored outside for 17 years with no rust, but not in salt spray.

There are also spray on waxy coatings that last a couple of years
LPS-3 and CRC-06026. Pretty hard to get off once on and can't paint over them, but it works for a while. I squirt a bit on my Grade 8 clamping bolts since they aren't hot dipped.

Grant KZ1W