Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Bot

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Surge Suppressor at Base of Tower or Shack SPG or Both ?
From: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 20:59:38 -0400
Shawn:

     My antenna/coax configuration is a bit different in that I have an antenna switch at the bottom of the tower.  All of my HF antenna coax lines terminate on that switch before an antenna is selected and passed on to the shack's coax line.  So all of these lines go through Polyphasers before they hit the switch.  In that way even the non-selected antennas/coax lines are protected.  I do not have a surge arrestor on the coax line from the switch to the shack. My thinking is it's entirety is underground for about 50 feet and the likelihood of an induced current on the shield is negligible.  (I expect some disagreement on this.)

     However, the commercial practice is to place arrestors at the building/shack entrance, on a single-point ground panel that is connected to the earthing system.  No arrestor is placed where the coax leaves the tower; only the shield is grounded at that spot. Therefore, I would recommend installing the arrestors at the shack entrance.  If you have a legal copy of Motorola's R56, refer to the figures on page 7-42 for a pictorial.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F