[TowerTalk] Hazards of Low soil conductivity

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hazards of Low soil conductivity
From: lstoskopf@cox.net
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:00:47 -0600 (CST)
I'll check next Sunday with the missionary guy.  He's the moderator or our
church and has been there many times.

Soil conductivity is related to amount of sand, silt, and clay as well a bit of
minerals on the associated cations.  That's why soil scientist measure it.
Some also measure magnetic properties...if the soil has those properties.

One wire lines:  Our first phone line was one wire and usually owned by the
farmer it served.  We had lots of the big 1.5 (I think) batteries with
terminals around (dead) from the mic bias.  You still can find about 6" X maybe
1" carbon rods around left over when the zinc outer layer went away.  People
just threw them out.

As for the milking machines.  A very good friend, an atty, had a lot of milking
machine cases where farmers swore that electrical leaks caused the cows no to
let the milk down.  One witness swore that his hand were sensitive and he could
feel the electricity.  Since my buddy was on the machine side, he had to be
biased.  But he had lots of travel to ZL and VK trying them.

Back to radio,

N0UU