Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 25 section bolts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rohn 25 section bolts
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 20:38:46 -0400
I had two gin poles, one made from R25 & one made from R55. I drilled out the R25 holes to be all 3/8", and the R55 holes to be all 1/2". There was no way we were going to have to deal with more wrenches than necessary on repetitive everyday tasks. That's just dumb.

However my Rohn ham towers and all the others I installed were all unmodified when we installed them. For permanent towers it's probably better to leave the hole galvanizing somewhat intact.

It may have been that the original design had the larger bolt being adequate by itself, and the smaller hole could be used for an alignment tool, with the last bolt then as a safety.

-Steve K8LX