[TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 17:56:11 -0400
Wondering whether there is any substantial difference between #12 solid THHN and #12 PVC jacketed copperweld (steel) in terms of cutting a dipole to length.

I'm in the process of installing a K8UR style 80M four square. I trimmed the first element to length using THHN. Then I decided that I should use steel wire for at least the top half of the elements because of the high wire tension I ended up with after pulling the feed-point out far enough from the array center. It's an issue with not enough acreage around the tower.

Even so I ended up with a 50 ohm antenna rather than the desired 30-40 ohm antenna per the DXE instruction manual. But that's an entirely difference issue (though I'd appreciate any comments on that as well).

Should I expect the steel wire lengths to be pretty close to the THHN lengths, or should I re-do the initial step of carefully cutting the first element in isolation?

TIA!

-Steve K8LX