Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:18:48 -0500
For a number of years I had a Ø2 7/8 chrome molly mast. I am not sure why
that was a standard size years ago but I liked it better than Ø2".  I made a
stainless steel shim out of 1/16 wall tubing and my K7NV clamp held it
perfectly.  During the last year did a lot of tower work and I replace the
Ø2 7/8 mast with a Ø3" mast from DX Engineering and of course eliminated
this shim.  It should be easy to also shim a 1.9 OD (1 1/2) pipe or any mast
size to fit the K7NV clamp that DXE sells.

John KK9A

Gary Saboe N0GGS

<snip>As the newer K7NV designed mast clamp and the DX Engineering
modification of the K7NV clamp both are specified for either 2" or 3", how
well would either 3" version capture and secure my 2-7/8" mast?  How much
tolerance for using a smaller mast diameter is built into the design? The DX
Engineering modification of the K7NV clamp design by adding one or two clamp
spreading bolt(s) to assist spreading the clamp seems like a great idea.

73,
Gary N0GS