Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed
From: Steve Dyer W1SRD via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 20:23:37 -0800
Kurt had the clamp spreading bolt from early on. I have one with it.
73,
Steve
W1SRD
What Steve K7LXC omitted from his question regarding the M2 mast clamp and mast friction situation is
the mast size, but Grant KZ1W made a great recommendation below to increase the contact area for
variations in mast size.  My prop pitch M2 mast clamp was previously modified by K7NV as he had
resurfaced the clamp teeth of the M2 mast clamp included with his rebuilt small prop pitch for handling
my 2-7/8" outside diameter galvanized chrome-moly 22ft mast, but still recommended pinning the
mast.   As the newer K7NV designed mast clamp and the DX Engineering modification of the K7NV clamp both
are specified for either 2" or 3", how well would either 3" version capture and secure my
2-7/8" mast?  How much tolerance for using a smaller mast diameter is built into the design? The DX
Engineering modification of the K7NV clamp design by adding one or two clamp spreading bolt(s) to assist
spreading the clamp seems like a great idea.

73,
Gary N0GS