Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 17:36:08 -0400
Interesting on the actual 100/140 Weller wattage.   Years ago I purchased an
American Beauty and I haven't touched my Weller soldering gun since.  As
VE7RF mentioned they are ideal for PL-259s.

Please report back on how the Weller butane works for you out in the field.

I am not sure what frost is?

John KK9A/4

Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:

I looked at a number of the recommended butane irons you all mentioned to
me.

Some are not available in Canada or have temp sold out and so in the end I
decided on a Weller/(Portasol)
"Weller PSI100K Super-Pro Self-Igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron Kit"
from Amazon.ca for
a whopping $219.  I hope it lasts, (I've never paid $219 for a soldering
iron) but surely it has to be better than the $34.50 one I got from Lee
Valley Tools a few years ago.
IIRC I paid $29.95 for it back then, hi hi

Some had mentioned thermal mass, especially in the ccccold or wind, and this
model seemed to have a rather large tip included (as well as what I'd call a
"normal sized" tip),. so hope that helps. It claims to be the rough
equivalent of a 125watt iron.

As a matter of interest, 15minutes ago I used my "killawatt" measuring
device to see how many watts my dual range (100w/140w) Weller gun was using.
The answer is 81watts and 101watts. (disappointing!)

I appreciate all the info, stories, advice and what-have-you.

I may post one follow up once I have had a chance to try it.  There are
already frost warnings in various parts of my Province.  Certainly a foreign
concept to some, hi hi!

73 - Cheers

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna