Re: [TowerTalk] COAX SEAL

To: David Hachadorian <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>, reflector Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] COAX SEAL
From: Steven Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:30:04 +0000
Lots of chatter about weather sealing.

For PL-259s my weather sealant for five+ decades has been "nothing."   I
assemble PL-259s the way Amphenol indicates the should be assembled, but adding
a size 111 silicone type S1015 O-ring onto the cable before twisting the
connector tightly onto the cable jacket, soldering all for body solder holes so
they are completely filled with solder that has guaranteed reflow into the
braid, and threading the connector shell onto the body so it tightly pinches
the O-ring between the body threads and the inside rear end of the shell.

Costs ten cents, takes two extra seconds, and I've never, ever in my life had
one leak a drop.

Water outside (rainfall) isn't under pressure, it's not trying very hard to
penetrate connector seals.  😊  I demonstrated this method three times at
Hamvention back in the 1970-early 80s by immersing such assemblies underwater
in a 10-gallon fish tank and no matter when anyone pulled out a splice using
two such assembled connectors threaded onto a PL-258 barrel (F-F UHF splice),
no matter how hard they looked nobody was ever able to find a drop of water
inside a PL-259 connector.

I also use drip loops for all outdoor coax assemblies that include any
connectors, with the connectors at the top of the loop so if God forbid a drop
of water got inside, it couldn't penetrate the coax run very far, just to the
bottom of the loop.   It won't run back uphill.