Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew 30m beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew 30m beam
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 11:55:44 -0400
On 5/2/2024 11:26 AM, JVarney wrote:
The elements in the 40-2CD are undersized, they start at 1.25 in at
the feedpoint but should be 1.50 in. minimum.
The 402-CD/XM240 has held up rather well for many years other than
in certain extreme conditions (e.g. hurricane coasts, heavy icing).
Replacing the coil/cap hat assembly with its weight at the end of
the element with 36" of tubing should reduce the element stresses
and the overall survivability can be enhanced by double walling the
first 36" of the 1.25" center sections.

If it were me I'd go 40% shorter, say 28 ft wingspan and insert an
air coil with Q=800 or better in the middle.

It would not be necessary to be that aggressive with the shortening -
30% shorter - e.g. a 20 meter element - would be fine and reduce the
the coil requirement over a 50-60% size element.  36 foot elements
starting at 1.25" with a double walled first section would be more
than sufficient and could be easily sourced from surplus 402CD/XM240
elements.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV