Re: [TowerTalk] RF Industries Connectors/Adapters

To: Ken Alker <ka6ken@alker.net>, towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RF Industries Connectors/Adapters
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 08:26:50 -0700
On 6/8/2024 6:30 AM, Ken Alker wrote:

The ham operator looking for the best price buys Pan Pacific from me. The ham operator looking for best quality buys RF Industries.  The RF Industries PL-259 I sell is the "501" (like the Jeans) which has a teflon dialectric and silver body, unlike what I can get from Pan Pacific.

Ken Alker
KA6KEN

IMHO, the gratuitous use of PTFE dielectric can in no way be
read as any particular indicator of "quality," whatever that means.
For PL-259 frequencies, the low loss is superfluous.  The high
temperature handling of PTFE is compromised by its soft mechanical
characteristics.  OTOH, I have never heard of the mil-spec Amphenol
dielectrics melting or softening when soldering.  I have encountered
many PTFE connectors that were unmitigated junk.

Rick N6RK