Re: [TowerTalk] Cautionary tale about cable waterproofing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cautionary tale about cable waterproofing
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 11:22:15 -0700
On 7/18/2024 10:57 AM, kq2m@kq2m.com wrote:
A lightning strike can easily cause heating of the cable which can cause the cable itself to swell or burst the insulation on the individual wires within the cable opening it up to shorts, especially as water gets in.

Yes, but the failure I've seen was described arcing, not heating. A minor quibble. :) It's why good engineering practice has been to bond shields of coax/hardline to the tower top and bottom. I once acquired (for free) a piece of hard line that had suffered from this. It was useless. :)

73, Jim K9YC