Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Source for #6 Copperweld
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 00:23:18 -0700
On 8/26/2024 8:35 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
I'm just wondering if you have worked with 6 awg copperweld.  I have not but
I would be concerned with its stiffness and springiness. I have used smaller
copperweld for temporary antennas in the Caribbean and I had disappointing
results.  The copperweld kept breaking.

W6GJB had the same experience.

The #8 we have stretched to #9 is pretty strong, stronger than THHN, which stretches when it's under tension for a while. The 80M dipoles I built with #10 THHN had to be lowered and circumcised every few years to keep them within tuning range of my 87As. I've not had that problem with the stretched #8, which is very close to being hard drawn.

73, Jim K9YC