[VHFcontesting] Software Questions

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Software Questions
From: dross@sirinet.net (Donald M. Ross)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:47 2003
To the assembled multitude of folks smarter than me (which in this case is
everyone):

The EM04 gang is going to try a limited multi-op next June from the farm
with 50, 144, 220, and 432.  And since none of us have every done a multi-op
before, we have a few questions.  This topic of discussion is software, both
for logging/scoring and interfacing to the radios.

The ideal software package (in our minds) would be able to get frequency and
mode data from the radio (like Log Windows does) allowing us to type in
callsigns and grids only to speed up the exchanges.  The software should
dupe check and keep a running score for a particular contest (like VHF-DX).

And we want to do this from four concurrent operating stations (one for each
band) while LANed together and retaining the ability to do instant
banner-type messages to pass stations between bands.  Use of a dedicated
server with printer and backup capability is a capability that we do have.

The current thought process involves logging to paper sheets at each station
with a central computer operator entering data into VHF-DX as the sheets
become full.

Do we have the wrong concept?

Does such a software package already exist?

What have you done to accomplish similar things?

The EM04 gang.