[VHFcontesting] Sept Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Sept Contest
From: km3t@contesting.com (Dave Pascoe KM3T)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:43:49 2003
On Sep 1, 2001 Tree N6TR <tree@kkn.net> wrote:

> I guess instead of asking what the ARRL thinks (which is better
> answered by making a phone call), I would be interested in knowing
> what other VHF contesters think.  I have a pretty solid calibration on
> what is desirable for HF contests, but I admit that there are some
> differences in the VHF/UHF world.  I don't see anything wrong with
> that - and making "one size fits all" could be a mistake.

> At a basic level - having the human ear used for detection of the
> signals makes sense.  The day might be coming where technology could
> replace the human ear with enough performance to make the human
> detection method non competitive...  I for one would not welcome that
> day as I think it would remove most of the fun and make the results
> less dependent on operator skill, but rather how well you can program
> your DSP.  I feel the basic thing that makes ham radio interesting
> compared to just sending e-mail is putting on your headphones and
> listening.

I'm familiar with HSCW and WSJT but have personally not operated either
mode.  I look forward to trying both, from a technical and fun
perspective.  But, for contesting, I fall in the camp who believes using
the human ear for detection ought to be the way to go.  I know that there
will be some doom-and-gloomers who will come out and say that the only way
to get new people interested in doing VHF contesting will be to allow
these modes.  Well, that may be true, but it's pretty unlikely.  There are
plenty of ways to recruit without having to depend overly much on whizbang
technology.

I certainly could see a separate, short contest (like a HSCW or WSJT
Sprint) which could be fun and allow interested folks to compete.  But I
would not want to see the existing VHF contests changed.  One of the
problems I could see is a substantial shift to these modes, caused by the
natural competitive desire to work more grids, which could take activity
away from the more traditional modes, making those not inclined to use the
new modes lose interest due to decling activity.  We do have to do
something to increase contest activity, but I'm not sure these new modes
is the best route to that goal.

73,
Dave KM3T