[VHFcontesting] 222 - FM VS SSB

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 - FM VS SSB
From: timm@cccomm.net (Tim Marek)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:16 2003
Bob,

I'm surprised... What a insensitive statement!

Yes, SSB/CW are the prefered modes but FM works well
if it's the only way you can afford to activate a band.

I also have found some grids can only be worked on 220 FM
as there is no resident SSB/CW activity.

As a ROVER I have found 220 FM very useful. Running up
and down the San Juanquin Valley in CA on Hwy 5 between
LA and SF/Sac I have been able to work the larger Mtn Top
stans over 300 miles with 25W to a 5/8 mag mount. Many
of us rovers have used 220 FM as a liaison freq to arrange
contacts on the other "Weak Signal" bands.

I have been a very active VHF contester since 1991 and have
only just recently been able to afford to build a 220 SSB stn.
I highly reccomend Down East Microwave's 222 xvtr. 25W
output, very hot front end, & easy to interface as they offer many
possible configurations for it.

220 FM? Bring it on!

73s all de Tim - K7XC/R - DM09ol... sk

http://k7xc.tripod.com/K7XCweaksignal/

"What We Do In Life... Echoes In Eternity!" - General Maximus