[VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 06:54:45PM -0400, James Ahlgren MD wrote:

> The whole purpose of the VHF contests is to encourage pushing the frontiers
> in station design and operating.

Really?  Maybe that is your interpretation.  I don't think it can be called the
"whole" reason.  Here are some other ones that I think are valid:

1. Provide an opportunity for people that never hear anything on their radio to
actually hear some signals.  This might not be a big problem on the east coast,
but out here in the west, it is valid.

2. Be a competitive event - where you can compete against your friends and beat
them into the dust.

3. Be a fun way to spend a few hours in front of the radio.

I generally agree with most of your other points, but I had to take exception
to that one.

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net