[VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article
From: jim@forsyth.net (Jim Forsyth)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:38 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID C. OLEAN" <k1whs@worldpath.net>
To: "Jim Forsyth" <jim@forsyth.net>
Cc: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 6:43 AM

> Hi Jim,
>
> I am not so sure it is "hogwash". If you look at the history of just about
every
> contest, they had their roots in developing the bands and getting more
activity
> and better stations on those bands.

I don't know if that is true or not but even if it is that does not mean it
still applies to contesting today.

>Recent examples are the EME contests and
> the 10 GHz contests.

You have picked on a couple of atypical contests that may be exceptions,
that is why I said MOST contests.

>As time progresses, we seem to forget that and look at any
> contest as a chance to get the biggest score, or beat out your VHF
neighbor.

You just agreed with my point.

> How do you get the biggest score? You progress the state of the art in any
and
> every way you can imagine.  (Of course many of us also look at the contest
> weekends as a great way to get away from fixing leaky house plumbing and
re
> arranging the living room furniture!!)

I agree completely. Improving the station is a by product of the true
purpose which is to get the biggest score.

Jim, AF6O