[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:39 2003
Fact: The more ice cream is consumed in London, England...the greater the number
of deaths due to frostbite in Cape Town South Africa.

Fallacy: By banning the sale of ice cream in London, South African lives can be
saved.

Lesson: Armchair analysts examining annecdotal information are bound to arrive
at incorrest conclusions.

Context: There is "no valid data" on which to know if participation level has
changed over the past 10 years (according to Gene).  Therefore, we have no idea
if this is a "problem" or not.

All we know is that there has been a "cyclical bear market" when it comes to log
submissions over the past several years.  The question is "why?".

That is the only question that can be answered...and it must be answered by the
very people who we can't seem to identify (according to Gene) those that
participate but don't submit logs.

Any conclusion drawn is the analysts version of an ESP QSO at best.

Ev, W2EV

ps...it's summer in London when it's winter in Cape Town (duh!)

pps...I disagree that there is "no data available".  We've been submitting
electronic logs for a very long time...albeit not Cabrillo format.  Anyone with
rudimentary spreadsheet skills can mine the information that would be useful to
this discussion.