[VHFcontesting] Re: CQ WW VHF Contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: CQ WW VHF Contest
From: n3fti@yahoo.com (Steven Kerns)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:32 2003
Hi All,

For the last 10 year I have operated Low Power (QRP
Portable) in many of the ARRL and a few of the CQ VHF
contests.  Here is my take on all of this:

I agree that the power level for the CQ QRP catagory
should be reduced to 10W.
--- "Mark S. Adams, P.E." <msadams@acsu.buffalo.edu> I

> wholeheartedlyt support this idea and agree that 10W
> should be the max

I disagree that the hours of the contest be changed
for any catagory!  If you only want to operate 6
hours, then operate 6 hours and go home, or better yet
move to another grid and operate another six hours.  I
don't think there is any rule that prohibits sending
in two QRP logs from two diffrent grids during the
same contest.  I don't mean roaving; I mean completely
starting over when you move to the second (or third!)
grid.  If there is; it should be changed!
> As for the 6 hour blocks. I love it!  I never have
> been able to mount an
> overnight expedition and take it ALL along. Knowing
> that I had a pair of 6
> hour sessions would make more ops want to play.

I also disagree that the QRP entry be changed to a
Unlimited Class.  In many contests I get on for a hour
or two to hand out my call to the masses, there is no
reason why a group of guys can't go to the mountain
for a few hours to operate the contest QRP; work some
new grids, maybe some DX and then send in a check log.
 It would not be fair to the single op who has planned
out his operation, set up by himself and operates
solo.  If a QRP group wanted to track their score from
year to year they could enter as a Multi operator high
power class to get the score listed.
> Lastly, I suggest that there not be a limit on
> number of operator for qrp.
> I could easily entice other hams who are not into
> vhf to come and help me
> out, make setup/teardown go easier along with
> handling the 10-20 people who
> show up asking questions during band openings!  They
> won't show up to just
> watch, they would want to operate.

I have mixed feelings on some of the CQ contest rules,
on one hand I like the idea of being able to operate
QRP from a existing home station, but I think the ARRL
rules are more in the spirit of a QRP operation; as
only the operator is allowed to set up the portable
station, and it must be powered from non-commercial
power source.

What do the other QRPers think?

73

Steve, N3FTI