[WSVHF] Re: [VHFcontesting] Re: Ideal contesting rig

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [WSVHF] Re: [VHFcontesting] Re: Ideal contesting rig
From: pogletree@comcast.net (Perry Ogletree)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:35 2003
It is a lot easier to design a "DC to daylight" receiver into a radio.  A
transmitter gets to be a problem as most RF power devices have narrow
operational ranges.  Just look at a databook for most of the big RF
transistor houses and you will see a lack of coverage in the 220 MHz. area.
You can "force" a 432 MHz. transistor to operate at 200 but it can be a real
pain due to undesired spurs and oscillations.  I had a test design that
would transmit from "DC to light", all at the same time!  I could break the
squelch on any radio within five miles.  Luckily, it only lasted for about a
second before the top "popped" off of the transistor.