[VHFcontesting] Skeds

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Skeds
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:54 2003
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:04:03AM -0400, Warren Walsh wrote:
> At 08:59 AM 6/11/2003 -0500, Tree wrote:
> >
> >Is there a way that we can avoid using a national VHF Contest list
> >for making [skeds]?
>
> If you know of a better list then a national VHF contest list, the let us
> know!

(a) Email or call potential collaborators directly.
(b) Use existing forums like Hot Rocks, other HSMS forums, IRC, moon-net,
    etc. that are more appropriate for sked-making.
(c) Create a new mailing list dedicated to contest skeds.

I think trying to arrange skeds on this reflector would be a little like
HF contesters posting to CQ-Contest trying to recruit additional operators
for multi-ops in state QSO Parties.  Why should people in New Zealand care
if a New England multi-op needs another 40M operator?  Why should VHF
contesters in Germany be bombarded with requests for contest schedules
from stations in California or Iowa or Tennessee?

Why not figure out from logs, from contest results, from local club
reflectors and resources, who you think are likely candidates for your
pre-arranged behavior, and spare the general discussion lists of
inappropriate traffic?

> >Personally, I still believe the skeds should be made during the
> >contest, using ham bands.  Making skeds BEFORE the contest, or
> >using the internet or telephone isn't contesting.
>
> Then don't make any!

I won't be making any either.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops