[VHFcontesting] K9ZF /R no budget Rover planning for the 2003 ARRL June

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K9ZF /R no budget Rover planning for the 2003 ARRL June VHF QSO Party
From: danlevans@msn.com (Dan Evans K9ZF)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:36 2003
The Rover Ranger has finally been repaired.  With a new transmission, I
should be ready for another Rover trip:-) So it's time to start my contest
prep.  Here is my check list so far.

1.  6 meter antennas.
Finish 2nd loop and build phasing harness for stacked loops.
Backup: single loop.

2. 2 meter antenna.
Buy new or repair old homebrew yagi.  I really like the looks of the 2M7,
but the "no budget" may dictate repairing the old yagi.
Backup:  Trusty old 4 element CC.

3.  Power supply.
It's time for a new deep cycle battery.   The old one is still fine for the
trolling motor, but the '746 is just too picky about supply voltage to keep
using the old one.
Backup:  The old deep cycle, plus the vehicle battery.

4.  Ladder Racks for the Ranger.
Add new racks to help brace the antenna system.

5.  Push up Mast.
Make planned modifications to push up mast, and test.  Set up new antenna
positions to include 2nd 6m loop.

6.  WSJT.
Install WSJT on the laptop, AND LEARN TO USE IT:-)  I think WSJT can add
significantly to my score [and everyone else's] during the overnight hours.

7.  Beaconet.  Have TNC, will packet!
Install Beaconet/CU2QSO [Hey Ev, how about "Rover-net"?] when ready and
learn to use it.  Also need to buy an RJ45 crimper and make an interface
cable from the TNC to the IC-V8000.

8.  432.
I need an amplifier, but it's just not in the budget.  Will have to make do
with 10 watts out again.

9. Route Planning.
10 grid route again?  Dare I try 12??

So, to loosely quote K7XC, where will you be in June?

73
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF
Scottsburg, IN 47170