[VHFcontesting] Re: [PSK_VHF_UHF_HAMRADIO] K9ZF /R no budget Rover plann

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [PSK_VHF_UHF_HAMRADIO] K9ZF /R no budget Rover planning for the2003ARRL June VHF QSO Party
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:36 2003
Dan Evans K9ZF wrote:

> 7.  Beaconet.  Have TNC, will packet!
> Install Beaconet/CU2QSO [Hey Ev, how about "Rover-net"?] when ready and
> learn to use it.  Also need to buy an RJ45 crimper and make an interface
> cable from the TNC to the IC-V8000.

CU2QSO was developed using the IC-V8000!  It is an awesome transceiver and well
suited for such operation (it is the highest power mobile 2m FM transceiver on
the market).  I would suggest using a standard Category-5 computer cable, and
cut it to length.  The connector is the same.

Your best TNC is the Kantronics KPC3+ with ROM 8.3.  There is no real substitute
on the Rover side, when it comes to outright performance.  On the other hand, if
your laptop has two serial ports, you can plug your GPS into one and any KISS
TNC in the other.

Anyway...download the UI-View software and follow the setup instructions for
mobile operation...you'll get it to work fine.

Great going, Dan!  You will be a pioneer...so don't get discouraged for the
first couple of travells with the system.  Fixed location stations will take  a
little while to warm up to using CU2QSO...but I promise you that when they
finally power up to join you, they will wonder how they did without it for all
this time.

Let me know how I can help you...and I will.  As a matter of fact...tell me the
grids that you are most likely to Rove through, and I will create a custom map
(with color elevations) for you.

Regards,

Ev, W2EV