[VHFcontesting] A Brief History of (Captive) Roving

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A Brief History of (Captive) Roving
From: k3dne@adelphia.net (Ed Kucharski)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:48 2003
Ev,

I'm sure your elmered rover scenario in your post below happens frequently and
that is how the system should work.

BUT (!) that has not always been the case and may still not be.  There are
multi-op stations (I know of one) that have equipped rover stations with
microwave gear, that almost could be considered proprietary in that it operates
on limited and unique frequencies designed to QSO with the sponsoring multi-op
station only.  This practice started before the rover category existed -
instead of roving, the well equipped "portable" microwave stations would go to
adjacent grids and prior to grids to sections and set-up and work the
sponsoring multi-op.  As I understand the history, the project was a
significant undertaking and somewhat of a marvel of design and implementation.
IMHO such an undertaking is not consistent with the spirit and intent of radio
contesting and that is what has me miffed about captive rovers.  Can I prove
this existence?  Nope - I don't have logs, pictures, recordings or other
evidence other than information from extremely reliable sources and personally
overheard conversations.  I do think some good has come from captive rovers
though.  Secondary to their existence, single-ops, rovers and especially
multi-op stations have pushed harder to become active on microwaves - that was
good.

I think that KB1EAA may have stumbled across one of these rovers as he alluded
to in a portion of a previous post pasted below.