[VHFcontesting] Timely results = Increased activity & bettersubmittal?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Timely results = Increased activity & bettersubmittal?
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:51 2003
At 10:53 AM 5/25/03 -0400, Ed Kucharski wrote:
>Getting the results sooner would be great and maybe set a new standard for
>faster result turn-around times for all ARRL contests.

A lot of people think that just because we have electronic logs, the
results can be almost instantaneous.  Perhaps that can be true once people
learn to send in Cabrillo logs that are not broken in some way.

I check the logs for the ARRL 160M and 10M contests and a significant
percentage of logs received need some sort of manual editing.  The robots
catch some of the mistakes (primarily in the file header), and has improved
the situation greatly.  However, for the 2002 ARRL 10M contest, out of
2100+ electronic logs over 200 needed editing...that's 10%.

Recently, at the 2003 Contest Forum, the question was asked of the
attendees "How many people check the contents of their Cabrillo file before
they mail it?"  Only, about 20-25% of the audience raised their hands.

I can't speak for Tree or the other logchecking teams, but we spend more
time importing logs than we do verifying the results.  I'm sure you
participants would rather it be the opposite.  You want results
sooner?  Make sure your Cabrillo log is correct.

73,

Dave/K8CC