[VHFcontesting] Advice needed

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Advice needed
From: k1dg@ix.netcom.com (Doug Grant)
Date: Sun Jul 20 19:08:12 2003
While I am somewhat experienced in HF contesting, I am new to VHF
Contesting, so please be patient with my newbie questions, gang.

I have recently installed my first-ever 2M beam, and am hearing considerably
better than I am being heard. I called a bunch of guys on 2M aurora last
night with no success (although working KE8FD in SC on 2M Es earlier was
pretty cool). My IC706MkIIG's mighty 25W output seems basically inadequate.
I am sure there are improvements in the antenna that will help (longer boom,
better feedline, etc.), but those can wait until I improve my transmitting
capability.

I am looking for advice on what low-impact 2M brick would be reasonable...I
have scoured the eHam and other review sites, and the TE Systems amps seem
to be well-regarded, with service something of an issue. Other
well-advertised brands seem to deteriorated in their quality recently.

I guess I am looking for something in the 160-180 W range, and am interested
in opinions (reply direct...don't clutter up the list, since I'm sure this
topic has been kicked around in the past).

And of course, if anyone has a suitable brick lying around surplus to his
needs, let me know that too...this VHF stuff is interesting, but I'm looking
for a relatively low investment in case I get tired of listening to all that
noise...

73,

Doug K1DG