[VHFcontesting] Advice needed

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Advice needed
From: jallen@vhfcom.com (John Allen)
Date: Mon Jul 21 13:02:55 2003
100-200W is a good and common power level  to have on 2M.  It is enough to work
meteors, WSJT, etc.

As to how to get the Pout,
It seems from my casual attention to the traffic on the VHF
mailing lists over the last few years, that the solid state
amps that are linear, break down and have poor service
from the manufacturer and many (most?) of the rest of the
solid state amps are not linear.  The RF Concepts (are they
still made?) amps seem to work, I don't know how linear they are.

Power MOSFET amps should be linear - does any ham
manafacturer make one?, and tube amps, particularly
the 8877 and other triodes can be very linear.

Tetrode amps are available surplus, running 4cx250B or 8930 or Svetlana 4cx400

I welcome suggestions to help us all out and reduce the
rotten QRM on 2M

73, John K1AE

John Allen  - Computer HW/SW/Network debugging, installation, maintenance, and
upgrades www.pcsupportsolutions.com
<http://www.pcsupportsolutions.com>
Also Electrical Engineer leader / manager  - analog, digital, RF, Board, ASIC,
and Signal Integrity. mailto:jallen@vhfcom.com 978
779-6189